Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Apologies and Thanks to the late Sydney J. Harris

The title for my blog was taken from the occasional columns by Sydney J. Harris, titled "Things I learned enroute to looking up other things." The Internet has increased the likelihood of such accidental results from research. I make no claim that I will write as well as the late Mr. Harris, but he seems a suitable model for my writing.

Let me make clear that there won't be all that much writing, either. I've tried blogging in the past, and failed miserably because I just didn't work at it. I'm one of those who does indeed have to work at keeping any sort of diary, journal, or blog. It doesn't come naturally to me. The more personal things, such as a diary, leave me wondering, "Why bother writing things down if no one will read them?" The less personal things doubtless should produce the same question...

I'll try to avoid excessive introspection and actually discuss topics that have some external meaning. I'm interested in (disgusted by) political and social concerns, and my opinions are rarely considered "correct" in either context. I'm old enough to know better but young enough to care. Yet despite the fact that it's supposed to be a curse, I feel blessed to live in "interesting times."

If there's anybody out there - thanks for listening!

No comments: